Monday, January 4, 2010

Eat From the Pantry Challenge


If you read my Menu Plan Monday, you know that I am participating in the Eat From the Pantry Challenge. Normally, I usually can't fully participate in these challenges. My 85 year old mom lives with us and going to the grocery store is a recreational activity for her! But the timing worked out for this challenge since she is going to be out-of-town for the next month or so visiting her sister.

After taking a complete inventory of my freezer and pantry, I came up with plans for at least 25 meals. These are my not-so-strict rules for my Eat From the Pantry Challenge:

1. I will purchase produce, milk, bread and a few ingredients to complete my meal plans.

2. I will put $250 into the grocery envelope and try to only spend half of that amount.

3. Any money saved will go into the "sinking fund" for home improvements.

4. I will go to the grocery store a maximum of once per week and get creative to substitute that likely "forgotten" ingredient or item.

5. I will continue to buy items from the store that are free or almost free.

I already had a challenge today. I had planned on having pancakes for dinner tonight. However, the weather here is so cold that we really wanted to have some hot soup. No problem! We still had plenty of veggies in the freezer and pantry. We made a pot of homemade vegetable soup and used beef bullion to flavor the broth. Delicious on a freezing day! We also made corn muffins with the last of my cornmeal.

A change of plans doesn't mean you have to run to the grocery store. Get creative and work with what you have!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I just love your "sinking fund," we need one of those.

Tracey said...

Hope your week has gone well with the challenge! I did a pretty good job - except for an extra stop (or two) at the grocery store!!