Saturday, May 30, 2009

Garden Update 5/30/09

I just wanted to give an update on the progress of my Square Foot Garden. If you read my previous post, you can see that I have added more plants and everything has grown quite a bit. We have had a lot of rain, so I think that has helped. We have been dry for about 5 days now, and the temperatures are climbing. Suddenly, everything is taking off.

This first bed (above) doesn't have much in it right now. I need to get more pepper plants. I am also going to sow more green bean seeds in a couple of these squares. I have planted green beans every two weeks so that we have a continuous harvest.


In this bed, There are lots of tomatoes and some green beans. I think that I also planted some cucumbers that are coming up. I put the trellises in to let the cukes climb.


This bed is full. I have tomatoes, a squash plant, green beans, peppers and a marigold.



The squash plants are loaded! I think I will be harvesting the first squashes this weekend!


Here is the first of the two original boxes. We made them 4 x 10. In this one I have squash, tomatoes, peppers, and green beans. I tried some cilantro (I harvested once) and other herbs, but they didn't do great.
This box has more of the same: squash, green beans, peppers and tomatoes. I have about 40 little green tomatoes of different varieties. Yay! I am hoping to can tomatoes and salsa. Also, we like to make green tomato relish. We usually wait until the first frost and then pick all of the green tomatoes and make the relish.


If someone out there can tell me please--why are some of my tomato plants' lower leaves turning yellow?

Thanks!

No comments: