Sunday, September 28, 2008

Colorado White Chili


Here is my recipe for Colorado White Chili that is included in my menu plan for this week. I have no idea why it is "Colorado" white chili, but its a favorite of my family.

Chicken Mixture

1 tbsp. butter
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 medium sweet yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 -4 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sage (optional)
1-1 1/2 tsp cumin
4 1/2 chicken breasts, boned and cut into bite size pieces

Sauce

3 tbsp butter
1/4 c flour
1/2 cream (half&half or milk)
2 c chicken broth
1 (17 oz) can corn (I use frozen if I don't have canned)
3 cans Great Northern Beans
cayenne--to taste
white pepper--to taste
pickled jalapenos--if you like extra punch
Monterrey Jack or cheddar cheese

To make chicken mixture: Melt butter in a 5-quart pan. Saute scallions, yellow pepper, garlic, jalapenos, ginger, salt, sage and cumin. Add chicken and cook until just done. Don't overcook. Remove chicken mixture from pan and set aside.

For sauce: Melt 3 tablespoons butter in pan. When bubbling, add flour and whist briskly while adding cream (milk). When smooth and thick, add chicken broth. Stir until blended. Stir in corn, beans, and chicken mixture. Simmer 30 minutes. If desired, add 2 shakes of cayenne, 1 shake white pepper, and 1 oz. pickled jalapenos with juice.

I adjust spices to suit me. I also add more milk/broth than called for in the recipe. Adjust thickness of soup/chili to suit you. I serve this with flour tortillas, cornbread, or tortilla chips.

Enjoy!

No comments: